[time-nuts] OT stuffing boards: was GPS interface/prototyping board

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jun 23 18:27:41 EDT 2016

Hi

Around here, assuming:

1) You supply all the parts on full reels with leaders
2) There is no hand assembly work
3) You already have framed stencils that are the correct size for their gear
4) You have multiple proper solder and placement fiducials  on both sides
5) The boards are designed to mount on their gear
6) Your parts and design rules fit their gear and rules.
7) No electrical test, visual inspect only.
8) Best effort only, If the part does not solder etc, you replace it on your time.

You can get various places to look at a batch for $500 to $1000. If your stencils !=
their stencils figure $100 to $200 each.

If you want to ship things a ways, you can save a bit of money. Shipping plus packing
always seems to be a bit expensive.

By far the best approach is to get all of their rules before you start a board layout. Then
do it in whatever arrays / panel size they are set up for and all the other little details.

This all starts to make a lot more sense to the local outfits when you are talking a few hundred boards.
Even more so if it is a few hundred boards a month, every month for a few years.

====

Some math:

120 parts on 10 boards is 1200 parts. A good machine will do that in < 6 minutes. Setting up the machine,
validating everything ….. that’s an afternoon’s worth of work (maybe more) and maybe an hour of down time
on the machine.

====

Of course for a few thousand dollars you can buy your own pick and place machine ….

Bob