[time-nuts] Impact of GPS antenna height measurments

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Jun 27 18:49:00 EDT 2016

> So to travel 22 meters is about .000,000,073 Seconds.  Or 73 nanoSecond.

Hi Gary,

I want to echo what Bob just wrote. People get carried away with "a nanosecond is a foot" and think it applies 100% to GPS timing and position, or in this case, elevation errors.

Equating 22 m with 73 ns, or equating 1 foot with 1 ns is only true in the impossibly rare case of one satellite directly above you. In reality, 1) most of the time the SV are further down and so the error is reduced by sin(angle). And, 2) the GPS timing solution is typically based on lots of satellites, not just one, and so the effects of position error is further reduced by the ensemble mean.

An accurate position is desirable. No question about that. This note is just a plea not to apply the speed-of-light number or the "nanosecond a foot" rule-of-thumb out of context.

/tvb