[time-nuts] How to properly characterize 32kHz oscillators manually and with a microcontroller?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jun 28 15:48:31 EDT 2016

pete at heypete.com said:
> I have seen those, but I have little experience with PICs and the Wife
> Acceptance Factor of buying more stuff for a one-off measurement is low.

The PIC family is very similar to AVRs.  The picPET and friends are 8 pin
DIPs so the Wife is unlikely to notice the additional clutter.

>> The PPS input on a PC may be be useful.
> Indeed. I normally use it for NTP.

Than you want a second serial port for things like this.

Or maybe you can use the parallel port if your system is old enough to have
one.  I haven't tried it, but I think Linux has a module that supports it.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.