[time-nuts] Next step up from basic GPS/PPS timekeeping

Neil Green ncguk at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 17:11:08 EST 2016

On 29 Feb 2016, at 10:46 am, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> What distro are you starting with?
>
> I'm using Debian.  Their kernel includes PPS support, both Wheezy and Jessie.

I’m using Raspbian Jessie. PPS over GPIO is now recognised in the stock kernel but kernel PPS isn’t. I compile a kernel that disable dynamic ticks and enables KPPS.

>> I had a DS3231 lying around so, ...
>
> Are you setup to make long term measurements?  It will be interesting to see
> how it drifts.

Measurements will be purely anecdotal, and I most likely won’t start observing until I’m happy that I’ve optimised the circuit. This is probably frustrating to an experienced time nut, but I lack any sophisticated measuring equipment beyond NTP’s loopstats/peerstats/clockstats files.