[time-nuts] OT : New Horizons FEC

Alberto di Bene dibene at usa.net
Wed Mar 2 07:15:10 EST 2016

Pardon me for the OT request... I know that some of you are deeply involved with space communication
(may be Jim Lux ?) and I am quite curious about the Forward Error Correcting codes used in the New
Horizons probe, that as of now is beyond Pluto, and still sends correct photos with its meager 10W
transmitter, from a distance greater that 5*10^9 km....

Does it use the k=15, rate 1/6 convolutional code, preceded by  a Reed Solomon block code, like Cassini,
or something better has been implemented ?   Is there any place where I can find information of this ?

Thanks for any answer

73  Alberto  I2PHD