[time-nuts] PRS10 and missing serail port communication

Philip Zahariev philip_zahariev at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 09:50:58 EST 2016

Hello group,

Recently obtained from eBay PRS10 marked as no-lock. Of course my first task
was to open device and see what is current state of lamp, capacitor and etc.
surrounding parts. My surprise was that all things look pretty good (of
course is used). And frequency is not correct :-) Actualy first 1-2 minutes
frequency is pretty close to 10 MHz, but after all thing is ready (hot)
frequency go far away.

My questions:

1. How bright should be the light from lamp? Few seconds after power is
applied to device lamp start shining, but I can see only if room light is
close to dark or if I use magnifying glass focused on hole for inspection.

2. I cannot communicate with PRS10 using RbMon10 (software from SRS). Only
obtain repeatable characters from PRS10 if start terminal program with baud
rate 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity, with 1 start and 1 stop bit and no answer
of any command according manual. Double checked according schematics and
port is configured as serial. Any advice how to obtain comuniaction?

Best regards
Philip