[time-nuts] Rubidium Frequency Standard

timenut at metachaos.net timenut at metachaos.net
Fri Mar 11 16:32:56 EST 2016

Pete,

I will be using it for a general lab standard, to feed into other test
equipment. But, I can't predict my future usage, so I want the best that I can
get. I also plan on eventually locking it to a GPS (probably a U-Blox board).

I am retired, so my budget is nearly non-existent. :-) I have to spread the
cost around, so cheaper is better even if I then have to spend extra later.
The HP 5065A that Paul found at 1800 EUR is very much out of range. A new
PRS10 is only 1495!

I am considering a PRS10 or LSD12 that needs repair. Schematics are available,
the ones available are within the 20 year life span of the rubidium bulb and
are much more affordable than a working unit. It is, of course, a gamble.

Right now, I am researching. Actual purchase will be later once I decide which
way to go and budget the money. I may need other things first (a power supply
springs to mind). I researched the scope that I wanted to buy for a couple of
months before I pulled the trigger. It blew within 5 minutes, but fortunately
only needed recapping. I also made a few other modifications while I was at
it. It still needs calibration. All that took another three months after
purchasing.

Mike