[time-nuts] HP 5065A repair

cdelect at juno.com cdelect at juno.com
Sun Mar 13 12:49:31 EDT 2016

I'm changing the topic from best rubidium frequency standard for this
post.

Most repairs I make to the 5065A run well below $250.00, sometimes as low
as $100.00.

A "crazy bad" repair might run $400.00 or so but out of over 50 repairs
only two needed that level of help.

As far a tempco goes, unless your lab swings tens of degrees will you
really see it?

Short term stability scales with cell size and is also proportional to
the design temperature.

Also separate filter and resonance cells perform better than an
"integrated" cell.

The 5065A cell is the largest available today and the 66 degree C is the
lowest temp around these days.

The 5065A cell also has a temperature regulated stem to stabilize the
Rubidium level.

These combine to give a typical STS of  1.5X10-13 at a Tau of 100
Seconds.

Unfortunately as others have noted, it is easily the most expensive
Rubidium standard out there.

A few members are looking into improving the tempco and I hope testing
the barometric pressure performance.

Cheers,

Corby