[time-nuts] Conditioning Rubidium Oscillators

Björn bg at lysator.liu.se
Tue Mar 15 11:22:52 EDT 2016

I have seen no national timelab using cheap L1 stuff for high quality time transfer.

Btw... its been discussed here multiple times over the years. Ashtech Z12-T and fast forward over the past 20years. Look at a geodetic receiver with optional external freq input. They are available from most of the big names.

A very interesting question why someone spend $$$ on masers and not a much smaller amount on good antennas and multi frequency gnss receivers.

Btw the local vlbi-site have lots of high end gnss rx.

--
    Björn

elfchief-timenuts at lupine.org said:
> Are there currently any decent (intended (or at least usable) for
> timekeeping) GPSs that support using L2/L5 for this purpose? Google is
> turning up lots of nothing, for me...

I don't know of any.  I'm somewhat sure that they don't exist or maybe they
are hidden in the military sector.

Tom Clark and Rick Hambly work on timing for VLBI.  They run a yearly
workshop on timing.  Their slides are available on the web.  They use low
cost L1 gear.  I'm sure they would use something better if it were available
commercially.  They are starting with Hydrogen Masers so cost cutting on the
GPS receiver would not be a problem.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.