[time-nuts] When does NIST change to DST?

Vlad time at patoka.org
Tue Mar 15 18:09:20 EDT 2016

Just for fun, I was created the chart for 60hz main behaviour for the
night when we had EST to EDT time switch.
Its 2AM EST, Mar 13. Which is, I beleive 6AM UTC. I was surprised I
noticed the event when I created spline smooth line for the data

http://www.patoka.ca/OCXO/60hz-est2edt.png

May be coincident or my eyes stop to serve me well. ;-)

--
WBW,

V.P.

On 2016-03-15 13:45, Nick Sayer via time-nuts wrote:
> Well, they flip the “warning” bit at 0h UTC (4PM PST the afternoon
> before), so I think the explanation is that my clock was able to sync
> up at that time, and it reacted to the warning bit rather than using
> that as a cue to make the change at 0200J like it should have. Either
> that, or the receiver erroneously received a ’11’ rather than a
> ’10’, or WWVB transmitted the bits wrong (which I’d think
> unlikely, except that it wasn’t just my clock that reacted early).
>
>> On Mar 14, 2016, at 8:23 PM, Andy <AI.egrps+tn at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, what I meant by "switch to DST" was that it flips the DST bit.
>> Not that the timecode itself changes.
>>
>> Since the time many clocks use to sync up with WWVB is (from what I
>> recall) around 2AM, it seems kind of dicey whether they would make the
>> change on the right day.
>>
>> I think that doesn't explain the change happening at 2000J -- unless
>> your receiver was receiving and syncing to WWVB at that time and they
>> had already flipped the bit.
>>
>> Andy

WBW,

V.P.