[time-nuts] CERN hosted 9th White Rabbit workshop, presentations online

Javier Serrano javier.serrano.pareja at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 10:35:56 EDT 2016

Thanks for the kind words Achim!

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Achim Vollhardt
<avollhar at physik.uzh.ch> wrote:
> CERN has hosted this week the 9th White Rabbit workshop.

Actually our friends at Nkhef [1] hosted the event in Amsterdam.
Nikhef is a really cool institute. In the same building you have
people working on neutrino detectors to be installed at the bottom of
the Mediterranean (KM3NeT) , the Cherenkov Telescope Array, the Square
Kilometre Array and Gravitational wave detection. The lab tour was one
of the highlights of the event. I recommend it to anybody going to
Amsterdam.

> White Rabbit is a open hardware fiber-based network which allows for
> precise (sub-ns) time transfer over fiber lengths of up to 10km (and
> even more) between attached nodes.

Indeed, 10km were our initial specs. Then through the magic of open
source and some very gifted individuals, WR specs are being stretched
in many directions. The longest link to date is the one done by fellow
time-nut Anders Wallin [2], around 1000km!

Cheers,

Javier

[1] https://www.nikhef.nl/en/
[2] http://www.ohwr.org/attachments/4271/4_WR-workshop_2016_wallin.pdf