[time-nuts] Framework for simulation of oscillators

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Mar 17 13:13:54 EDT 2016

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 06:20:00 -0700
jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 3/17/16 2:56 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
>

> > As I am pretty sure not the first one to attempt something like this,
> > I would like to ask whether someone has already some software framework
> > around for this kind of simulation?
> >
> > If not, does someone have pointers how to write realistic oscillator models
> > for this kind of short and long term simulation?
>
> what do you want the output of the model to be?  Samples of the sine
> wave, time of each cycle, frequency at discrete intervals?

I think the best thing would be to ouptut when each node sends a pulse.
Which happens every n'th clock cycle of the oscillator and are in our
current implementation 50us apart (aka 20kHz). The pulses from all nodes
are closely synchronized (sub ns phase difference). I think for all practical
purposes, we can replace the "high" frequency crystal oscillator by a
"low" frequency one (at the rate of these pulses) that then drives the
algorithm of the nodes (aka the PLL)

I don't really care what happens between these pulses, as we currently cannot
measure it. At a later stage of the project we might be able to do so,
but for the moment,  it's ok if we can correctly describe the behaviour
at tau's between 50us and <10ks.

			Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.