[time-nuts] PTP Grandmaster Clock using Macro Sniffing

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Mar 23 19:08:54 EDT 2016

HI

At least the last time I dug into it … the project is about 2% hardware and
98% software. Most of a Grandmaster is the same hardware that a slave uses.

Getting timing from various cell systems has been tried both commercially and
experimentally. The issue is that you are at the mercy of the cell system operator.
He may / may not care about timing. He may switch timing sources at random.
The net result is a very poor source of time sync. It also results in a lot of stuff
showing up surplus so it’s not all bad ….

Bob