[time-nuts] Spectrum Analyzer Specifications

timenut at metachaos.net timenut at metachaos.net
Wed Mar 23 22:31:38 EDT 2016

Thanks everybody! You have all given me a bit to think about. Clearly, what I
thought that I needed is not necessarily what I actually need. To summarize...

   1. There are various options and approaches for a Spectrum Analyzer. BUT, I
      probably don't actually need one because they are inadequate to the task
      at hand. One that might be sufficient would probably cost as much as a
      small house (or new car). Not cost effective for me.

   2. The next big test tool should probably be a time interval counter, with
      possibly a cheaper higher-precision frequency counter without time
      interval capabilities before that.

   3. But first, a GPSDO for a frequency reference is a good idea (I was
      already planning on that, in any case). I also think that a higher
      precision DMM (one of the 6 or 7 digit meters) is probably also a good
      idea.

Mike