[time-nuts] Owner's Manual and advice for Austron 2110 Disciplined Freque...

Leedyt at aol.com Leedyt at aol.com
Sat Mar 26 22:43:04 EDT 2016

Bob:

Thanks for the advice.  When the unit was powered on for about  three days
(!) the "Not warmed up" message finally went away and it appears  that the
unit will now lock onto an external 1 MHz signal to within a few parts  in
10E-10.  This was confirmed with direct measurement using a Agilent  53132A
driven with a GPS signal.  At that point, things seemed to work  properly and
the EFC voltage was 8.2xxx Vdc.  So I suspect I have a few  years of
EFC-voltage compliance left.  I have not opened the plug to the  mechanical trimmer
since I regard this as a last resort  -- some variable capacitors have a
tendency to take a long time to  settle into a new stable position after
adjustment.

So evidently, either I didn't wait long enough for the 2110 to properly
warm up and lock onto an external signal, or something (like a leaky
capacitor)  "fixed itself" -- this would be more troubling.  Since I don't have a
feel  for the "time constants" of the instrument, I may switch it off and see
if it  exhibits a long lock-on time the next time.  But first I want to get
some  ADEV data to see if the unit is better than what I  am currently  using.

I agree that the 2110 is an ancient instrument (~1968), but there are few
disciplined oscillators in this class that are in economic reach to those of
us  that don't have deep pockets.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

-- Tom

In a message dated 3/26/2016 9:17:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,