[time-nuts] Time Lord, video of

Mike Cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Sun Mar 27 02:45:47 EDT 2016

> Le 27 mars 2016 à 00:56, dikshie <dikshie at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Tom Van Baak <tvb at leapsecond.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>> There was just a CNN link to this timely video of Judah Levine:
>>
>> Just Call Him the 'Time Lord'
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkMR5q-R-sM
>

> sorry for double post.
> I added:
>
> The history of time and frequency from antiquity to the present day. J.
> Levine (2016), European Physical Journal H, DOI 10.1140/epjh/e2016-70004-3
> http://www.epj.org/images/stories/news/2016/10.1140--epjh--e2016-70004-3.pdf

Looks very interesting. I haven’t had time to read all, but jumped to the bit about my pet hobby horse and found that a slight inaccuracy had crept into the text.
When describing leap second insertion, Judah writes:
«  This time difference is accommodated by adding an exact integer second to UTC whenever the magnitude of the time difference reaches 0.9 s. »
It doesn’t work quite like that as , though I am sure that he is well aware, the current definition of UTC from ITU-R TF.460-6 just states that :
« The departure from UTC for UT1 should not exceed 0.9s ». It does not indicate when the correction should be applied, and till now has always been made well before that limit being reached.