[time-nuts] Prescaler

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Mar 27 16:41:25 EDT 2016

Hi

There are a *lot* of chips that will divide down from a couple of GHz. Once you have a chip, what do you do with it? There is more to a practical counter front end than just the divider. Getting it all to work requires a bit of time and a pretty good pc board.

This guy:

http://www.analog.com/en/products/rf-microwave/frequency-dividers-multipliers-detectors/frequency-dividers-prescalers-counters/hmc705.html

Will do a divide by 10 and go higher than your counter will. It’s a bit expensive … The eval board is cheaper than a single piece and it will give you a pretty good start.

This guy:

http://www.analog.com/en/products/rf-microwave/frequency-dividers-multipliers-detectors/frequency-dividers-prescalers-counters/hmc434.html

Will only divide by 8, it still goes higher than your counter. The eval board is a bit over $200. One piece of the Ic is < $12.

Bob