[time-nuts] Reliability of atomic clocks

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Mar 27 19:23:50 EDT 2016

On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 10:50:13 -0400
paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not have it but I stumbled into it on the internet. There was one
> paper it was military, naval observatory or NIST and it did indeed show
> failure rates of cesiums of the reference that were owned and it must have
> been 30-50 of them.
> I remember it showed failures of units over years.
> Since it did not at all addres my need I did not keep it.

Do you remember anything more about the paper? I couldn't find anything.

The only remark i found, is a small sentence in an introduction
of an paper[1]:

---
The USNO has 60 high performance cesium frequency standards (clocks).
These clocks are combined to form a timescale or mean that serves as the
long-term frequency reference for USNO. At any given time, approximately 75%
of these clocks are weighted in that mean, the remainder unweighted due
to hardware failures or behavior deemed uncharacteristic for that clock.
---

But no details...

[1] "Analysis Of Clock Modeling Techniques For Usno Cesium Mean",
by Skinner, Koppang, 2007
http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=ADA474175

--
Reading can seriously damage your ignorance.
		-- unknown