[time-nuts] Spectrum Analyzer Specifications [Phase noise tester Bare Boards and Layout]

Oz-in-DFW lists at ozindfw.net
Mon Mar 28 12:36:26 EDT 2016

On 3/24/2016 1:08 PM, Bob Bownes wrote:
> Don't really need anyone who can order up bare boards in bulk anymore.
Oshpark; www.oshpark.org does 2 layer for $5/sq in and 4 layer for
$10/sq.  That price gets you three boards. Designs can be made public so
anyone can buy them. I buy from them all the time. About 2 weeks turn.

There are several Chinese suppliers that will do 2 X 2 inch boards for
about $20 for 10 copies, about $30 by the time you have them in your
hands. Also about 2 Weeks turn, though may end up as much as 4 weeks.
> Many
> of the board houses will make them on demand for single customers. They fit
> them into empty spaces in larger board orders.
>
> I'd love one if someone is willing to draw it up. I'll even put together a
> Mouser BOM that can be shared if N8UR will layout the board. :)
If we can hash out a schematic, I can do a layout as a spare time
project - but I don't have a huge amount of spare time in the plan
before June or July.  I'd use KiCAD

We can do a public BoM on Digikey or Mouser so folks in the EU most of
the rest of the world have easy access.

There are few questions I have - surface mount or through-hole.  Through
hole parts are getting harder to get.  If you are afraid of SM we have
have a low cost service like Macrofab build small batches (they'll do as
few as one) and if we use parts from their standard parts list we only
pay the part cost, not the insertion cost. They'll also buy boards from
Oshpark. If you are not afraid of SM, buy a stencil from Oshstencils
https://oshstencils.com and get your hotplate out.

Connectors: SMA are cheap and reliable. More delicate than TNC, but not
by much, and a whole lot cheaper and more available as surplus.

> Bob
> KI2L
Oz, N1OZ

mailto:oz at ozindfw.net