[time-nuts] high rev isolation amps

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Mar 30 13:08:07 EDT 2016

On 3/30/2016 8:18 AM, Tim Shoppa wrote:

> There's a real beauty to many of the NIST designs - using topology and
> jellybean parts to achieve the performance, rather than selected devices.
>
> Tim N3QE

If only this were true.  Authors at NIST have consistently told me
that the conditions of working for the government preclude them from
mentioning the names of vendors.  Thus you get generic JEDEC transistor
numbers.  Along with the fact that JEDEC numbers are useless concerning
unspecified parameters, it tends to make NIST designs non-reproducible.
Not arguing that they didn't really get whatever results they present.

My understanding is that "CATV" transistors are all derived originally
from the 2N3866, FWIW.

Special request to Charles Steinmetz:  can you please let the group in
on the actual vendors and part numbers of the new era transistors
accidentally having low flicker noise?  Many thanks!

Rick N6RK