[time-nuts] Lightning 1, tbolt 0.

Scott Newell newell+timenuts at n5tnl.com
Thu Mar 31 23:11:14 EDT 2016

At 08:13 AM 3/31/2016, paul swed wrote:

>Its just that a strike that close creates one heck of a pulse. Further
>todays homes may have a lot more wire in them phone cable power and
>ethernet. So lots of ways to carry the pulse.

Agreed. The only tbolt cables attached, serial and PPS, ran around
the edge of the room into a closet to the dead server. That same path
also had a handful of cat-5 network cables, connected to now-dead
network switch ports.

>So if you do find the chips great.

I figure it's worth a try--the 10 MHz output is active, the GPS
antenna wasn't hooked up, and the '202 and AC04 are cheap enough.

At 03:19 PM 3/31/2016, Ryan Stasel wrote:

>The PPS "buffer", I think, is a 74AC04M, but don't quote me on that. I'm

Yep, AC04 next to the PPS jack.

>You may need to get in there and probe a bit. In my case, my bad
>RS232 driver was drawing about 350mA and getting VERY hot, VERY fast.

Mine also seems to be hot. Thanks for confirmation. I'll replace 'em
both and cross my fingers.

Updates when I know more!

thanks,
newell  N5TNL