[time-nuts] Using lasers for data transmission

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun May 1 06:22:03 EDT 2016

The solution with high power is to use a beam expander so that the unaided eye cannot collect a power greater than the safe limit. Using near IR beams also helps.
Bruce

    On Sunday, 1 May 2016 9:00 PM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) <drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:

 > Hi,
> Several (many?) years ago National Geographic magazine show a picture
taken here in southern California of the state government sending red laser
signals between different mountain tops to keep track what was going on
near fault lines
> There were no technical details on what was taking place.  So it can be
done.
> At a hamfest a few years ago I bought both a red and green 35 mW laser
pen for about $15 each.  They do shine a long, long way.

35 mW is certainly unsafe to the eyes, so be very careful.  There maybe
legal issues about doing this.

> Whether these are powerful enough, or can be properly modulated for what
is needed, I have no idea.

You can pretty much modulate any laser diode. There are two important
currents to know about

* Threshold current I_th - below which it will not lase.
* Maximum operating current I_max - above which the device will be
destroyed.

You can AM modulate them by applying a DC current

I_th + (I_max - I_th)/2.

Then superimpose the modulation which has a peak value of (I_max - I_th)/2.

Those currents ensure that the laser is always lasing,  and gets you
theoretically 100% modulation.  For best lifetime,  run at lower levels of
peak modulation current.

Watch out for transient currents - lasers make transistors look like
antisurge fuses!

For point to point contact you want a beam which diverges as little as
possible.  IIRC the divergence is something like inversely proportion to
the cavity length.  For this reason a diode laser with its short cavity is
not optimal. But of course they are cheap.

A veey long time ago I used to know quite a lot about lasers,  but not
using them for years I realise that I have forgotten an awful lot!

FWIW, at university we had a 10 W argon ion laser. I think it took about 50
kW to produce those 10 W. When it was disposed of, it was sold to a company
that put on light shows.

Dave