[time-nuts] help

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun May 1 16:26:24 EDT 2016

On 5/1/16 12:26 PM, Bill Baker via time-nuts wrote:
> My problem:  I'd like some kind of off-the-shelf device that can take the time code and switch on or impulse another circuit-- specifically  I'd like to trigger a 180 year-old fog bell (I'm a lighthouse nut as well, www.henryisland.com) on the hour and maybe be able to impulse my minute school clocks.  I'm not at this group's technical level, so it's got to be pretty easy to program. So I need a box that I can program with SMPTE time in and a timed switch impulse out.  Any ideas?
>     Many thanks,
>     W1BKR

An Arduino or Teensy (http://www.pjrc.com) are both trivially easy to
program and have easy interfaces (With a large number of off the shelf
interface widgets like relays, optoisolators, etc.).  There's probably
off the shelf code and hardware interfaces for decoding your SMPTE or
other time codes.

The coding would be simple - the widget's not doing anything else, so
there's nothing wrong with a structure like

void loop(){
	if (msgavailable) {
		get message
		decode message