[time-nuts] GPS position

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon May 2 20:15:36 EDT 2016

Hi

All of the things we yack about in terms of antenna location and timing, also apply
to location and self survey. The gotcha is that they apply to a somewhat greater
extent.

A timing receiver can be pretty happy with a 30 degree view to the horizon.
It’s not perfect, but it can work. For self survey, getting down to the horizon matters
a bit more. Four sats almost straight overhead will do fine for timing … not so fine for location.

You can do timing with a single sat. It’s not ideal, but again, it does work. You are only
getting started doing a survey with four sats locked on. I can sit here with a plug in module
and get it to do some really strange stuff by blocking this or that direction. Swinging things
ten or twenty meters is pretty easy once you figure out the “right” location to make it all
happen.

Lots of variables ….

Bob