[time-nuts] Temperature controlled TCVCXO

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat May 14 08:54:36 EDT 2016

Hi

If the crystal has a “most stable point” it will be a point that the slope goes
from positive to negative (or vice versa). These points are symmetrical about
the “center” of the crystal curve. For an AT cut, your center will be just a bit above
25C. How far above depends on the geometry of the blank and a few other things.
For simplicity you see 25 used a lot.

If you look at the curves on the link posted earlier they follow a pattern. Anything
below “zero angle” never goes through a slope change The zero angle goes flat
at the center. The “useful” part of the curves have a turn at 25 +/- X where X can
be anything from 5 to 100C in normal crystal.

You need to dig into the actual math to take a look at the slopes near turn. Obviously
the turn at 50C is a better bet for your OCXO than the one at 125C.

The enemy of any temperature stabilization system is waste heat. On an OCXO
with a normal heater, there is some (small) current in the circuit even when the heater
is turned off. With a TEC, there is a *lot* of waste heat when cooling. The systems
I have seen using them get into stacked devices and water cooling pretty quickly.

Bob