[time-nuts] patents and hobbyist projects (was: Temperature controlled TCVCXO)

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Sat May 14 17:57:30 EDT 2016

On Sat, 14 May 2016 11:56:06 +0200, you wrote:

>On Fri, 13 May 2016 19:32:58 -0500
>David <davidwhess at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for those.  I went over them pretty carefully and what I am
>> proposing is not covered by either although that would not protect me
>> from a debilitating patent lawsuit.
>
>I wouldn't worry about patent lawsuits at all unless you intend to
>start a multi-million business.

It is not a big concern but if something is worth doing, then it might
be worth doing while also providing a kit or finished unit.  I would
put some effort into avoiding any imperial, err, patent entanglements.

I agree that the risk is miniscule at the hobby level.

>As a hobbyist, you are not a target. For one, patents are about
>commercial use only. If you don't sell it, patents don't apply
>(this is a bit simplified, but not incorrect). You cannot be
>sued for publishing schematics or blueprints either. It's not
>infringement to talk about a patent, is it? And last but not
>least, you don't have money. Even if someone sued you, they
>will not get anything out of it, so it's not worth the truble.

Commercial use also includes using the patent in production in some
way outside of selling an item which uses the patent.