[time-nuts] Simple solution for disciplining OCXO with 1 PPS

Bernd Neubig BNeubig at t-online.de
Sun May 22 13:41:25 EDT 2016

Hello Fellow time-nuts,
I am looking for a simple solution to discipline my 10 MHz reference OCXO in my private lab with an 1 PPS signal from a separate GPS receiver.
I am curious if there is a solution possible without programming a microcontroller, as I am an old-fashioned "analogue" guy ;)
I am well aware, that such a solution would have a lot of disadvantages, as it cannot effectively compensate for short-term variations. However I would be happy if such a KISS solution could achieve  a stability (STS) of better 1E-10 over an hour. I know this is a damned long integration time for an analogue integrator...
If that sounds too weird, I am open to receive advises for a microcontroller based solution.

Thanks a lot for your comments to come.
BTW: you need not to teach me about basics of short-term stability. I just want to evaluate the limits of a possible analogue solution. For sure, that's not real disciplining, but more like a long-tau integration PLL

Best regards
Bernd DK1AG