[time-nuts] WWVB software for PC

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 13:07:36 EDT 2016

If the PC's clock is being disciplined by NTP oe "whatever" the WWVB
simulator would not even have to "know" and would just use the system
clock.   So I doubt you will find a simulator that explicitly makes use of
a reference clock.  For your purpose the PC's clock could even be set using
Internet pool servers, typically this gets you to within a couple tens of
milliseconds.  The GPS will keep the PC's clock ate the tens of
microseconds level, You don't need that for setting wrist watch.

One problem is the new phase modulation that WWVB is using.  If you want to
emulate that you might want to use an audio interface that can output the
60KHz RF signal directly.   Most audio interfaces only go up to about
20KHz.    You need the 60KHz interface so you can keep the phase aligned
with the UTC second.

Software would be easy to write, just output 60,000 numbers per second to
the port.

But if you already have a uP that can simulate WWVB why not just add a
little bit of code you read the tie of day over a serial port

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Vlad <time at patoka.org> wrote:

> I am wandering, if anybody seen the projects like WWVB simulation
> (transmitter) using GPS/NTP/whatever as a time reference ?
> I have something similar, which is generic PIC MCU with connected WWVB
> antenna. This box generate WWVB signal for very short range. However its
> handy for developing/troubleshooting the WWVB receivers. There is no fancy
> parts on that - just an WWVB antenna, which many "travel radio clock" has
> under the hood. Unfortunately those box using internal oscillator and every
> time it needs the time to be setup on it.
> The reason to have "GPS-2-WWVB" could be use it to sync. some watches
> without relay on WWVB signal propagation. Sometimes its a challenge to get
> WWVB in big cities because of location and QRM.
>
> --
> WBW,
>
> V.P.

Chris Albertson