[time-nuts] Cs tube pics

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Nov 2 18:34:12 EDT 2016

On 11/02/2016 11:02 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> In message <20161102104103.0c58d35a72b7b36253b3d6b2 at kinali.ch>, Attila Kinali writes:
>> I still would like to try to build my own atomic clock at some point,
>> even if it would be a quite costly, and a many years project.
> If you like lasers, build an ion trap.
> If you only like lasers a little bit, build an optically pumped standard.
> If you *really* like lasers, build a fountain.
> If you are more chemically inclined, there are a ton of gasses you
> can work with, methane, amonia, CO2 etc.
> The one thing nobody has done or even tried yet, (as far as I know),
> is optically excite a solid crystal.

Actually, that's how lasers got started, by getting ruby crystals to
laze, which really use the chromium dopant of sapphire:

Surely you know that.

Being able to utilize it for clock purposes is another thing.

NaCl crystal stable HeNe laser is used for meter standards, which is
kind of associated.

I have not seen anyone optical excite atoms for microwave frequencies. I
wonder if the chemical bonds can be prohibitive enough for meaningful use.