[time-nuts] Thinking outside the box a super reference

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Nov 5 10:36:37 EDT 2016

On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 06:53:45 -0700
jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 11/5/16 2:59 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
>   But we still need to ensure that the field is properly
> > oriented and homogenous over the whole vapor cell. For this you need
> > a cavity that is properly designed and most likely will be resonant at 6.9GHz.
> > (I don't know whether it is possible to design a non-resonant cavity with
> > the above properties)
>
> isn't a TEM cell, as used in EMI/EMC testing, something like this?  It's
> a tapered transmission line and produces a uniform field within an area
> inside the line.

Yes, they fullfill the "constant field" condition, but not the "properly
oriented" condition. The field in these cells has still a quite considerable
curl. One can of course minimize that by building a larger one, but
then there are smaller structures with similar properties, when one does
not need the the wideband property of those TEM cells.

			Attila Kinali

--
Malek's Law:
        Any simple idea will be worded in the most complicated way.