[time-nuts] I love the smell of tantalum in the morning

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 18:26:33 EDT 2016

So much information from so many that have obviously run into the smell of
a burnt part.
I do the cut the part to pieces and unsolder each leg. Also the 2 iron
approach.
The absolute goal, do not damage the board.
I have a hot air station also and much like the comments made not impressed.
I did grab a scrap board to play with as I was learning.
Since your cap looks like it already split in half 50% of the jobs done.
As everyone focuses on the soldering part. The damaged board is equally
critical.
The stuff in tantalums is nasty. I clean the whole area with alcohol. And
at times actually carve out some of the carbon if I can measure some level
of resistance from each trace to the center point.
Your problem looks simple enough Tom.
Just remember this. I hate caps. But have received some of my best
equipment because they fail for $/pound. Kind of a love hate thing.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL