[time-nuts] How can I measure GPS Antenna quality?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Mon Nov 21 01:01:20 EST 2016

Yo Hal!

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 14:13:58 -0800
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> Is that even a sensible question?

Yes, it is a good question.

I have been buying a lot of cheap GPS antennas for testing on RasPis.

I plug the antenna into a GPS, then just wait until the GPS gets a good
sky view, and then check the sat SNRs.  Replace with a different antenna
and repeat.

The difference in SNR between similar appearing antennas can be very
dramatic.  Some are clearly strong or weaker than others.

	gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588