[time-nuts] Need for a document comparing time interval counters

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Wed Nov 23 05:47:30 EST 2016

On 21 November 2016 at 21:10, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> With both counters running on the same external standard (and no internal
> OCXO), the 53230
> beats the 53132 both on frequency and time. It also has slightly better
> isolation of the 10 MHz
> internals so the “dead zone” at 10 MHz is not quite as bad. I have no idea
> how either one
> works with the OCXO option … I’ve never seen either one with an OCXO.
>
> Bob

This sort of information is useful. Perhaps a Wiki is the best document,
where people can put comments like this. I don't have a Wiki set up myself,
but I'd guess the sort of information one would want would be:

* Description
Described what a TI counter is

* Uses
No doubt with an emphasis on time nuts uses, but I don't see any need to
restrict it just to that. (I did consider using one of mine to record the
speed of the traffic near my house!)

* Understanding the specifications and their importance.
Lots of them.

* Items to be considered when purchasing new vs used.

* Description of model X
Include any options that are available for model X.
Also any known issues - e.g. for both the SR620 and 8970B, they do in my
experience run quite warm.

* Description of model Y
* Description of model Z

Table comparing specifications between all models

* Models worth considering if your budget is < $250
* Models worth considering if your budget is < $500
* Models worth considering if your budget is < $1000
* Models worth considering if your budget is < $2000
* Models worth considering if you budget is unlimited.

* Conclusions.

Dave