[time-nuts] New Timestamping / Time Interval Counter: the TICC

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Nov 27 09:24:38 EST 2016

Hi

Without doing a bunch of actual *work* I’m not sure what is inside the guts of the board. Being
lazy I’ll just guess ….

There appears to be a 10 MHz time base input and a pair of measurement inputs. In a lot us will
be comparing to a “house standard”. That standard has a pps output that is related directly to
the 10 MHz reference. If I can uniquely identify one edge (out of 10 million edges) as the right
edge, I can use the 10 MHz as my pps reference. Put another way, I don’t really need to measure
a pps input from the house standard if I’m already locked up in phase to the 10 MHz. All I need to
do is to tag an edge / reset a counter.

The advantage of this is that I may not need another fancy TDC chip to set up the reference. I can
use *both* inputs for DUT’s rather than using one as a reference.

Part of the reason I’m guessing this would work is the claim that boards can be stacked for multiple
input setups ….

Bob