[time-nuts] ADC sample voting algorithm?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Oct 5 20:54:19 EDT 2016

Hi

If you are looking at a high impedance source with a “normal” ADC, you need a buffer amp.

If you have a signal that decays, it is generally not a good idea to toss all the samples into a
single bucket. You probably need to do some sort of slope estimation.

The still better solution is to get an ADC that is not super noisy. Most built in ADC’s on
MCU’s are quite noisy when evaluated against their claimed resolution level. Even with a few
thousand samples, this may not improve as much as you would wish for.

Better still, use a converter with a fast enough slope that the ADC noise is not an issue.

Bob