[time-nuts] Need Time Help

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 6 15:05:10 EDT 2016

On 10/6/16 11:15 AM, William H. Fite wrote:
> Indeed, Nick. And more than a little (usually) courteous one upmanship
> couched in terms of being helpful by correcting all previous posters. This
> gentlemanly "mine is bigger than yours" phenomenon is part of what makes
> this group fun to read.

Except that here, the popular metrics (AVAR, Phase Noise, etc.) are
"smaller is better" so the bragging rights go to the list member
claiming 1E-16 over, say, the relatively feeble 1E-6.

When you get to those sorts of levels, too, it's a lot of attention to
the details that lets you get there.

It's like GPS: getting 10 meter accuracy is easy
Getting 1 meter is tougher but still straightforward

But getting to centimeters, all of a sudden there's all these factors
that are insignificant at the 10 meter level but all significant at the
centimeter level: solid earth tides, ionospheric issues, multipath, etc.

And what's great about this group is that there are people on the list
who have been bitten by probably every thing that can go wrong (not one
person had ALL of them, but spanning the group) or could be speculated
to go wrong.