[time-nuts] Inexpensive Alternative to a 5120A

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 7 14:50:04 EDT 2016

On 10/7/16 11:32 AM, Cube Central wrote:
> Thanks Bob, I hope your cold improves, and I thank you for that answer.
> As I happen to have a HP 5335A and I think it has the options 10 and 30.  So from there, you are saying that the next step would be a GPIB adapter.  Here be dragons, as I have never used anything with GPIB before.  I am happy to order one today if you (or someone) could point to exactly the one I should get (perhaps an e-bay link?) or are all these pretty much standard?

The Prologix is the device to get.. it makes life easy, and there's
wrappers for multiple languages (I use the python ones)

I happen to use the ethernet one, but I would imagine the USB one also
works fine. I've had more trouble with non-standard USB devices (e.g.
not a disk drive, keyboard, mouse, or serial port) on Linux than on
Windows or Mac OSX - but I don't know what the GPIB-USB looks like.
Others on the list have probably used it.

Used/surplus, there's probably NI or HP/Agilent/Keysight USB:GPIB pods
around too.  If you're a Labview kinda guy, then the NI might the ticket.