[time-nuts] Prologix USB-GPIB Controller

Clint Jay cjaysharp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 05:21:04 EDT 2016

I think those voltage reference ICs have been done to death over on EEVBlog
and the general consensus is that they work very well, the only counterfeit
part is the 'calibration' sheet that comes with them, they seem to be done
on a photocopier.

They also appear to exceed the accuracy specifications of the part suffix,
my own experience of the three I own is very positive and they've been
checked by a friend who has access to some rather nice HP bench meters.

I would however be very wary of buying surplus OCXOs from eBay, some appear
to have been remove from boards by percussive means (BFO guage hammer) if
some of the pictures are representative of the devices for sale.

On 10 October 2016 at 09:35, Charles Steinmetz <csteinmetz at yandex.com>
wrote:

> Poul-Henning wrote:
>
> And for voltage references, "pre-owned" is likely to mean "better".
>>

> Perhaps, but third-world recyclers are not known for gentle treatment
> during the parts removal process.  There have been lots of videos and
> descriptions on the web that are truly eye-opening.  The process generally
> involves an intense heat source (everything from gas stove burners to
> campfires) over which children hold PC boards, and when the solder is good
> and flowing (maybe hundreds of degrees above its melting point) they give
> the boards a mighty whack on the edge of a table so the parts come flying
> off.
>
> They are NOT using temperature-controlled vacuum desoldering stations.
>
> I'm not particularly interested in a voltage reference IC that has been
> overheated for a prolonged period, then subjected while hot to a 50G whack.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Charles

Clint.

*No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number
of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.*