[time-nuts] Inexpensive Alternative to a 5120A

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Oct 10 08:17:35 EDT 2016

Hi

> On Oct 10, 2016, at 7:06 AM, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Let's back up, start over.   I want to use an SDR-like thing to
> characterize my new 10MHz oscillator, or actually to compare it to my
> Thunderbolt
> What are the steps?

The test document on an OCXO or a GPSDO runs into several dozen to several
hundred pages. It also sub-references multiple documents of similar size. All that
gets only just so deep. The assumption is that routine maintenance and calibration
have taken care of a lot of other things. You do *not* want to dig into all that :)

> Then after we list the steps I want to see why so many samples are required

The original paper did a direct sample of the signal. Nyquist gets you into the > 20 mega
sample range.

> Or maybe a better way to ask is "How will the results be limited if I
> can only sample at 2.3 MSPS?

They use the dual ADC simultaneous sample process to reduce the jitter of the
sample. It’s in the paper.

> Obviously I'n not directly sampling there 10MHz signal.  I'm sampling
> there frequency difference that a mixer gives me.

Then build a DMTD with a stable / low noise reference rather than the poor
stability reference in a SDR dongle.

Again, no free lunch :)

Bob