[time-nuts] PC clock generator without 14.318MHz

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 18 20:13:27 EDT 2016

On 10/18/16 4:50 PM, Adrian Godwin wrote:
> How about the Apollo launches ?
>

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 12:40 AM, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

>> What you really want is continuous footage lasting, say, a minute, of some
>> event (motivating the coverage) where there's an accurate clock visible in
>> the scene, where the film was originally shot at 24fps, and has been
>> converted to video.
>>
>> An interesting quest....

But didn't you know, those were all faked in Hollywood<grin>

Yes.. the trick is finding a continuous shot.. I did some googling and
didn't turn up a continuous shot.. lots of "edited highlights" reels..

What I need is that really boring single camera watching from a single
viewpoint with a high resolution counter in the field of view.  The "big
countdown clock" at KSC doesn't show fractions of a second.

I also found some stuff from the 1976 olympics (200m and 400m), but it's
multiple camera angles and obviously video recording.

It will likely be something that was shot for "scientific purposes" (so
the clock's in the scene) that someone has telecine'd for amusement  -
I've got a DVD full of atomic bomb detonation clips at home.. maybe one
of those, because they just took the archival footage and put it on DVD,
no edits, no color correction, etc.

There might also be some sort of newsreel footage of some piece of
appropriate equipment (e.g. high speed counter) is featured for a few
seconds.. if someone had one of those older scalers with the 10 neon
bulbs for each digit arranged in columns, that might work.. if they're
counting milliseconds or microseconds, then a few second clip would be
long enough. Or a counter with a fast discrete display (like an older HP
with a non-multiplexed display)