[time-nuts] 1PPS to 32.768 khz

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 14:20:09 EDT 2016

Even if the micro controller had to directly control the LEDs on the clock
your suggestion would be not only simpler bot several orders of magnitude
more accurate.    I'd guess that a first attempt to build a 32KHz GPSDO
would not be perfect but the PPS signal is effectively dead-in perfect in
this use case.

The disadvantage of using there GPS directly to increment the clock is you
loose hold over.  The clock stops when GPS goes away.

A GPSDO has a "flywheel effect" and can continue to run on it's own if the
GPS is interrupted.  When the GPS signal returns it can slowly recover.
But do you care?

One other unleaded idea, can you control the frequency of a 32K crystal by
controlling its temperature?   If you can then that might be easier then
using a diode tuner.   It is easy t build a heater, epoxy a resistor to the
crystal.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California