[time-nuts] 1PPS to 32.768 khz

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Oct 19 16:51:23 EDT 2016

Hi Brooke,

> So why not bypass the 32768 and drive the clock directly from the 1 PPS you now have.

Right, but that trick only works with analog stepper motor clocks. OP has a "big digital clock" with 8-bit cpu and 32 kHz xtal. He didn't mention the make/model of digital clock but in my experience very few commodity clocks actually accept a 1PPS input. These clocks use 32 kHz:

1) to drive the MCU which computes day / date / hh:mm:ss, or manages alarms
2) to maintain timekeeping
3) to multiplex digits of the LED / LCD display (e.g., at 128 to 1024 Hz)
4) to create the short bipolar stepper motor pulse (e.g., 1/32 kHz * 512 = 1/64 s = 15.6 ms).
5) to create the sound for the alarm/buzzer (some PWM based on 32 kHz)

The problem is that all these functions are usually integrated into one chip or even raw die/epoxy as in COB (Chip On Board). When hacking these sort of clocks it is often impossible to separate 32 kHz frequency features from the 1 Hz timing feature.

So when your goal is to improve timekeeping accuracy in these self-contained digital clocks it's usually easier and less invasive to make the clock use your precise 32 kHz signal instead of its own cheap xtal. You almost always have access to the xtal, but rarely access inside the MCU.

Note that you don't even need to unsolder the xtal -- you can "jam" the existing signal with an external 32 kHz sine or square wave applied to the XI pin (xtal in) of the MCU. Your external GPSDO/32kHz signal will "pull" the cheap xtal for free. Best yet, if your external signal goes away the clock keeps running using its own xtal without skipping a beat, like getting hold-over for free.

For a "no solder" or "no wires" solution, I have also tried to acoustically discipline a tuning fork xtal with an GPS-based 32 kHz signal and ultrasonic transducer. Poor results. I think I needed better coupling between the transducer and the xtal tuning fork. But in theory it should work. Plus it would keep small mammals and insects away from your clock.

/tvb