[time-nuts] MM5314 remote setting

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 08:15:33 EDT 2016

This long thread reminded me of a technology that my employer used from the 1970's till just a few years ago.

Our system had hundreds of HH:MM LED clocks for the public and we opened in the 70's so of course they were digital clocks.

I had always imagined that there was some fancy electronics in the LED clocks because they always seemed to be well synchronized.

I was surprised during their decommissioning a few years ago, to find that the clock modules were a very simple 60Hz driven LED clock chip with the remote synchronization done by jam loading hour pulses and day pulses via audio tones decoded with twin-T audio filters. Our in-house telco system distributed the audio tones by what was effectively a systemwide PA channel. The audio tones went out in the second preceding the hour. Simple steering diodes were used to double-count at 120 Hz if the clock was running slow at the hour pulse, and to hold off 60Hz clock pulses if the clock was running fast or on time at the hour pulse. The diodes decoded the multiplexed digits not with latches, but by simply charging RC circuits. And the whole clock was just reset to 12am every night by briefly dropping power.

The clocks were replaced by LCD screen displays that for a while showed the time but due to synchronization difficulties the clock display on the LCD display has been turned off.

Ironically for both the old clocks and new signs, they were only ever displayed for the public. Train operators can never see a system clock, and station managers usually brought their own clock in because they cannot see the clock on the front of their kiosk.

Tim N3QE

Sent from my iPhone