[time-nuts] Has anybody checked this? GPSDO in kit

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Oct 23 11:52:57 EDT 2016

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 15:32:33 +0200
Giuseppe Marullo <giuseppe at marullo.it> wrote:

> I am puzzled about what to do, still the total cost of it for a OXCO +
> GPS(unit with antenna) + control mcu is 67usd, I doubt I could find
> anything like this for a cheaper price new.

Yes, it's cheap for a kit, but it is not that cheap if you want to be cheap. :-)

You can get GPS modules for as low as $5 on ebay (these are new),
a uC board for another $10-30 (even cheaper on ebay) and a quite good
OCXO for $10-30, also from ebay. A few wires, a bit of programming and
you have an GPSDO that beats the progrock. So, by buying the right stuff
you can stay below $30 and have something that will get you a long way
for experimenting.

Just for the fun of it:

Total cost: ~$25 including shipping and all but the OCXO are new.
You will need programmer for the uC board, if you don't have that, change
the uC board for an STM32F0DISCOVERY board:

Of course, any "real" GPSDO will beat this one by orders of magnitude
in phase noise and stability, but they are also much less fun to build :-)

			Attila Kinali
Malek's Law:
        Any simple idea will be worded in the most complicated way.