[time-nuts] Has anybody checked this? GPSDO in kit

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 23 21:08:14 EDT 2016

For the money,  those are excellent little GPSDOs...  providing that it wasn't damaged while being salvaged.  I got three different models in from 3 different sources and they all worked well.   They are not nearly as tweakable as the Tbolt (nothing is) but they seem to get the job done.  Supposedly the Symmetricom units have marginally better phase noise (YMMV),  but I prefer the Trimble units for the sole reason that you can save the surveyed position and other settings in EEPROM and then they don't have do a survey each time you power them up.

And yes,  the next release of Lady Heather works with them.   The biggest annoyance is the time code message only comes out every two seconds so the clock displays tick on two second intervals.  Lady Heather really want to run on a one-second update interval, so internally I fake the odd seconds so things like the alarm clock mode works properly.

I have the code for the next release pretty much completed and am currently (GASP!) writing some (EGAD!) documentation (OH THE HUMANITY!)

>  Only cheap alternative could be this one(already discussed here one year
ago):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141734507722?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Would this allow me to play as the "standard" ThunderBolt using the same
software? Any preferred model among
63090/73090/65256 "models"?