[time-nuts] Temp/Humidity control systems?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Oct 27 10:37:06 EDT 2016

Hi

Ok, take this with a bit of caution ….

Your “time cave” does not have a specific spec on temperature or on humidity.
You get to pick a number for either one. Anything in the “non condensing” (let’s
call it < 80%) range for humidity is likely ok. Temperature up to 40C is probably
ok for any gear that I can think of. As long as you *never* go in and out of the
cave, comfort in the cave is a non-issue.

If I load up the cave with gear that runs up the electric bill, the cave will self
heat to some degree. How much it self heats is unclear. The number will be highly
dependent on your situation. Based on things like racks full of gear in out of the
way places, it’s a good bet that it will be 10 to 20 C above the temperature in the
rest of the basement.

Assuming the humidity in the basement is under control (if not, fix that), all I need
to do for humidity in the closet is to exchange air with the basement. Since the
volume isn’t very large and (hopefully) the water flow is modest …. a small fan
should take care of that.

If the closet is bound by the outside (buried) wall and the basement, both should be well
controlled temperatures.  If I plug everything in and let it run, the heat rise in August should
be the heat rise in February. Let’s say that’s a 20C rise. The basement is at 20 C and
the closet is at 40C. Maybe its more, If it’s less,  you need to buy more stuff:)

All I need to do is knock the 40C down to 35C with a small amount of “cooling” to
keep things under control. My “humidity” fan might do that. If not, a very simple
water based heat exchanger with a controlled fan will do the job. You need some sort
of fan(s) in the closet anyway. Without them you will never get the gradients under
control. A pump, 10’ of tubing and two heat exchangers are not a lot of money. There
also isn’t a lot to break if you do it right.

Why do it this way? No compressors to mess up the local power line and break
every X years (the fridge in the kitchen died Sunday ….. they do break). No super
cold surfaces to mess up humidity. No crazy heat flows to create clod drafts and
fast transients in the closet temperature.

The obvious downside is that you *do* go in the closet. When you do, everything
goes a bit off. My guess is that you are actually better off letting it recover slowly
than you are trying to move it back in under 10 minutes …. who knows. One solution
to that would be to sub-divide the closet. The gear to do this is cheap.

Bob