[time-nuts] Temp/Humidity control systems?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Oct 27 20:05:33 EDT 2016

--------
In message <20161027134312.GA18158 at panix.com>, Ron Bean writes:

>And since this is time-nuts: Measuring humidity accurately is tricky.
>According to people who have tested them, commercial electronic humidity
>sensors, when tested in a lab, have never come anywhere close to the
>accuracy claimed in the data sheet.

The main problem in measuring humidity is physical gradients:  It is
incredibly hard to create a volume of homogenous humidity on a planet
which has gravity, and for that reason, a lot of labs are not anywhere
near as accurate as they think they are.

>The exception is the "cold mirror" type of sensor, which measures the
>dewpoint by cooling a mirror and bouncing a light off it to sense the
>temperature where dew condenses on it. Those are expensive, and they
>require maintenance to keep the mirror clean.

And they are comparatively slow, last I saw one it could only do
a measurement every second minute.