[time-nuts] Opening an Isotemp OCXO

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Oct 28 17:09:51 EDT 2016

Hi

Well, the first issue would be the one that started this thread…. what’s the supply and pinout.
Yes, you can tear a couple open and work that out. Next step would be to verify that the other
couple hundred in the batch all are the same pinout and supply.

Assuming that you have all the same parts, next up would be making the test fixtures for the
units. It does not need to be super complex, but you need a way to solidly connect to the part.
If the leads have been cut off, this is a bit more complex than if you have full length leads.

Most processes age the units first. That would involve putting all hundred pieces on power and
looking at each of them with a counter every couple of minutes for a month or two. Based on that
data you could get a pretty good idea of what the aging will run. You also will weed out some
percentage of the units that didn’t survive whatever process got them to you.

After stabilization, They would go into temperature test. Likely something like a dozen or two
per run. Since you don’t know the top end, I’d do a search for that first. I’d then do a search for
the low end. Based on data from a few runs (several dozen parts) you should have some idea
of the upper and lower temp limits.

A formal temp run over that range would be next. I’d probably do 5 degree steps. That way if
you are off on the endpoint guess you might be able to see the correct end points. You would
test the whole batch of units and then look at the data. My guess is that you would re-guess the
end points and re-test the batch at that point.

Assuming you know the correct load and EFC from the original tear down, they would move on
to some sort of bench check. If not, you would need to work that out.

On the bench check, I’d run each one over the (assumed) EFC range at something like 0.1V steps.
Here if your range is off, the data probably is still ok. That should give you a proper EFC setting
for each one. Since they have been aged and TC’d at this point, the EFC center point should
be pretty good.

After that, things like phase noise and ADEV would be on the list. Same thing, run them all
and see what they do. Make some decisions and toss out the outliers.

So, yes it can be done. Because of the tear down process early on and the data redundancy
needed, you have to get a pretty good sized group of units. The risk is that you get a group
of parts with a common (to that batch) defect. They *were* headed to the garbage dump and
went to eBay instead ….

Lots of Fun

Bob