[time-nuts] WWV receivers?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 14:21:23 EDT 2016

Are you sure the single chip receiver is not itself an SDR?  Maybe using a
little 8-bit uP inside?  I don't know.

In any case the jitter on the SDR depends on the sample rate clock.  If you
use a decent audio interface the clocks are not bad.  A little 4-pin
crystal oscillator controls the sampling.   Compared to the propagation
delay the quality of that crystal is a not a big deal.

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 10:36 PM, Nick Sayer via time-nuts <
time-nuts at febo.com> wrote:

> That single-chip version is going to have a *LOT* less (and less variable)
> latency than an SDR.
>
> > On Oct 27, 2016, at 12:20 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>
> wrote:
> >
> > --------
> > In message <5A002554-8D90-4C75-95DA-21DB45D61E95 at kfu.com>, Nick Sayer
> via time-
> > nuts writes:
> >
> >> If you’re in North America, a CHU receiver is a lot easier to make
> >> than WWV/WWVH. The CHU timecode is just BEL 103 AFSK at 300 baud -
> >> it was a one-chip solution 20 years ago when I made one in college.
> >
> > We have CPUs and sounds-cards these days...
> >
> > Also: The KiwiSDR is nearly perfect hardware, no matter which VLF/HF
> > station you want:  You can track GPS and four (possibly 8) VLF/HF
> > stations at the same time.
> >
> > --
> > Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
> > phk at FreeBSD.ORG         | TCP/IP since RFC 956
> > FreeBSD committer       | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
> > Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by
> incompetence.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California