[time-nuts] Tbolt issues

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Thu Sep 1 12:54:24 EDT 2016

We have been following the Tbolt power discussions but what I am missing is
 the main problem with Tbolts. All the power work will not improve the
frequency  performance of the unit because the frequency is constantly changed
to correct  time. Tbolt is an excellent time device but not good for
frequency reference  past 1E-10. I noticed it when I bought it and compared it with
my Tracor 527E on  the needle and ever since used an Austron 2110 with a
digital 100 sec. loop for  clean up. My Swiss partner Juerg has relied on an
OSA F3 for Tbolt clean up but  continuous bad results on our work resulted in
a detailed analysis using a  HP53132A counter and M100, FTS44060, two
OSA8600's and one of the best FE405's.  The rsult is that the OSA F3 does not
clean up the Tbolt and we see +-4E-11  changes and old data shows even some +-8
E-11 excursions. With the popularity of  the Tbolt an analog or digital
clean up loop would make sense. We are working on  both, the analog because I
saw similar behavior on the FE5680 and FE5650, we did  a GPSDO but do not plan
on using those Rb's but focus on M100 and FRK.
The collective expertise of time nuts could make a significant  contribution
For power in critical applications we use the excellent work from Bern Kaa
a friend for the last twenty years and well known because of his published
work  in the European HAM community
Bert Kehren